[Bloat] UniFi Dream Machine Pro

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 11:02:06 EST 2021

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 5:08 PM Nils Andreas Svee <me at lochnair.net> wrote:

> > For the record I helped do the original fq_codel port to the
> > edgerouter over a weekend back in 2013. the ubnt
> > community jumped all over it, polished up the configuration language
> > to use it, leveraged the sqm
> > spec and demanded the result in their next formal release... which
> > ubnt did. It's been an ever
> > increasing "selling feature" for them ever since.
> >
> > There were like 800 messages on that wonderful 2013 thread, can't find it now.
> >
> > I don't know how closed this hw is, compared to the older edgerouters.
> > I can go hit the ubnt
> > forums to find out. Back then the devkit was freely available.
> >
> > I wouldn't mind getting in there to finally fix frame compensation or
> > integrate cake.
>
> Shame they haven't been as interested in implementing CAKE in their firmware. We haven't reached fq_codel levels of activity for CAKE, but we've still got well over 500 replies to that thread. Personally after getting CAKE to work on those boxes, I have never looked back. It's just that good.
>
> Last time I saw someone ask about getting CAKE implemented in the stock FW, UBNT-staff just sent them my way [1].
>
> [1]: https://community.ui.com/questions/Cake-SQM-AQM/8da70eda-de9c-46e1-b439-056f1d035350#answer/92c0a3b6-23b8-4140-92f1-4410d5daeb34

The contacts that I had that supported the original effort (notably
stig) have long since left ubnt. But we could make some noise on the
forums.

you are a hero, btw, for getting the cake port going on that hw. thx
so much for that!

--
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Mother Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman

dave at taht.net <Dave Täht> CTO, TekLibre, LLC Tel: 1-831-435-0729