[Bloat] Really getting 1G out of ISP?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Jun 22 02:12:14 EDT 2021

On 22 June 2021 06:00:48 CEST, Stephen Hemminger <stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote:
>Is there any consumer hardware that can actually keep up and do AQM at
>1Gbit.

        Over in the OpenWrt forums the same question pops up routinely once per week. The best answer ATM seems to be a combination of a raspberry pi4B with a decent USB3 gigabit ethernet dongle, a managed switch and any capable (OpenWrt) AP of the user's liking. With 4 arm A72 cores the will traffic shape up to a gigabit as reported by multiple users.

>It seems everyone seems obsessed with gamer Wifi 6. But can only do
>300Mbit single
>stream with any kind of QoS.

IIUC most commercial home routers/APs bet on offload engines to do most of the heavy lifting, but as far as I understand only the NSS cores have a shaper and fq_codel module....

>It doesn't help that all the local ISP's claim 10Mbit upload even with
>1G download.
>Is this a head end provisioning problem or related to Docsis 3.0 (or
>later) modems?

For DOCSIS the issue seems to be an unfortunate frequency split between up and downstream and use of lower efficiency coding schemes .
Over here the incumbent cable isp provisions  fifty Mbps for upstream and plans to increase that to hundred once the upstream is switched to docsis 3.1.
I believe one issue is that since most of the upstream is required for the reverse ACK traffic for the download and hence it can not be oversubscribed too much.... but I think we have real docsis experts on the list, so I will stop my speculation here...

Regards
         Sebastian