[Bloat] fcc input

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 15:09:14 EDT 2021

I have often thought hard about trying to explain things better via
animations, and on more than one occasion tried to find an animator
who could turn this old 8m talk from "people as packets" into "unruly
animals as packets".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-UnHDw02o&t=1657s

But that requires both money and time, and I've usually had neither.
Grant money would be nice for a whole string of educational videos,
but not being part of the MICA complex has made that difficult. If I
ever get caught up on bills, and some other pressing problems, perhaps
we could do a kickstarter campaign to get some things animated.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 12:05 PM Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> --On Friday, March 26, 2021 10:58 AM -0700 Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm still surprised at how hard it is to get people to understand that the
> > problem they're having (especially with real-time video like Zoom) isn't
> > bandwidth, but jitter and bloat...
>
> Speed is easy to understand. I see a similar issue with space travel fans,
> who have trouble grasping how acceleration, not velocity, is the important
> factor in that domain. And when velocity is a factor, it's the vector, not
> the scalar, that counts. If only people got decent math educations....
>
> Jitter and bloat aren't intuitive and need a lot more thinking and patience
> to understand. Perhaps we need a good animated cartoon to explain it.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Mother Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman

dave at taht.net <Dave Täht> CTO, TekLibre, LLC Tel: 1-831-435-0729