[Bloat] Terminology for Laypeople

Jason Iannone jason.iannone at gmail.com
Thu May 6 09:23:57 EDT 2021

It's not a short discussion but I start with a comparison of circuit and
packet switching, usually with an accompanying drawing. There's a physicist
joke in here about assuming a frictionless environment but for the intent
of this explanation, a circuit switched path is bufferless because circuit
switched networks are point to point and bits are transmitted at the same
rate that they are received. Packet switching introduces a mechanism for
nodes supporting multiple ingress, single egress transmission. In order to
support transient bursts, network nodes hold onto bits for a time while the
egress interface processes the node's ingress traffic. That hold time
equates to additional latency. Every node in a path may subject a flow's
traffic to buffering, increasing latency in transit based on its individual
load.

Jason