[Bloat] Terminology for Laypeople

Jonathan Foulkes jf at jonathanfoulkes.com
Mon May 10 16:10:01 EDT 2021

Hi Jason,

I’ve found that idle is a good descriptor for unloaded metrics, and for semi-technical audiences ‘working’ is a very good term. But for lay people, the term ‘loaded’ seems to work better, especially since we are talking about a metric that relates to capacity.

e.g.

When my truck is unloaded, my truck stops quickly, but when loaded, it takes longer to stop.

so now:

When my Internet line is unloaded, my latency is low, but when it is highly loaded (iCloud photo sync), the latency is very high.

Cheers,

Jonathan Foulkes