[Bloat] Terminology for Laypeople

Greg White g.white at CableLabs.com
Tue May 11 17:26:21 EDT 2021

I recently heard Stuart Cheshire (sort of tongue-in-cheek) refer to “idle latency” as “the latency that users experience when they are not using their internet connection” (or something along those lines).

I think terminology that reinforces that the baseline (unloaded) latency is not always what users experience, and that latency under load is not referring to some unusual corner-case situation, is good.  So, I like “idle latency” and “working latency”.

-Greg

From: Bloat <bloat-bounces at lists.bufferbloat.net> on behalf of Jonathan Foulkes <jf at jonathanfoulkes.com>
Date: Monday, May 10, 2021 at 2:10 PM
To: Jason Livingood <Jason_Livingood at comcast.com>
Cc: bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net>
Subject: Re: [Bloat] Terminology for Laypeople

Hi Jason,

I’ve found that idle is a good descriptor for unloaded metrics, and for semi-technical audiences ‘working’ is a very good term. But for lay people, the term ‘loaded’ seems to work better, especially since we are talking about a metric that relates to capacity.

e.g.

When my truck is unloaded, my truck stops quickly, but when loaded, it takes longer to stop.

so now:

When my Internet line is unloaded, my latency is low, but when it is highly loaded (iCloud photo sync), the latency is very high.

Cheers,

Jonathan Foulkes