[Bloat] [EXTERNAL] Re: Terminology for Laypeople

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed May 12 12:40:46 EDT 2021

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 9:02 AM Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> The part I'd like to simplify is "latency"....
> Most people can understand that the hot water tap doesn't produce hot water
> instantly, but I don't know how leverage that experience to networking directly.
> Idle and Working are good.

The demo I did in my broadcom preso ages back was the simplest I could imagine,
but not on the slides. ( http://www.taht.net/~d/broadcom_aug9_2018.pdf  )

I brought a coffee pot, a large carafe, two differently sized funnels,
an eye dropper, (and a towel!)

and showed how sending more data at the sender didn't change the
receiving rate, and how a human,
at least, reacted to tail "packet loss" by slowing down.

It strikes me that this demo is amiable to doing via videoconference.
Perhaps something that floats could be used to represent voip, like a
dried pea.

Being a perfectionist, I've not liked that this demo does not also
represent what happens when the upstream link
is clogged, but perhaps with some video trickery... (there's
videoconferencing filters for inverting the video), and intensely
dislike that it doesn't at all cover how RTT on every packet is the
driver but but that would require a water fountain as per VJ's big
demo at IETF 84.

We'd done a lot of more complicated vids than this (my modena talk,
shemminger's linux plumbers talk) trying to then explain aqm and fq,
but it seems like this mere starting point would be a useful visual
aid nowadays for laypeople.

https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse550/14au/papers/CSE550.congavoid.pdf
for engineers.

> --
> ]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
> ]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [
> ]     mcr at sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

Latest Podcast:
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6791014284936785920/

Dave Täht CTO, TekLibre, LLC