[Bloat] [EXTERNAL] Re: Terminology for Laypeople

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed May 12 17:10:12 EDT 2021

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 9:02 AM Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> The part I'd like to simplify is "latency"....  Most people can
    >> understand that the hot water tap doesn't produce hot water instantly,
    >> but I don't know how leverage that experience to networking directly.
    >> Idle and Working are good.

    > The demo I did in my broadcom preso ages back was the simplest I could
    > imagine, but not on the slides. (
    > http://www.taht.net/~d/broadcom_aug9_2018.pdf )

    > I brought a coffee pot, a large carafe, two differently sized funnels,
    > an eye dropper, (and a towel!)

Yes, that's a good demonstration for technical people.
I tried to do this at a LUG with audience involved theatre, but then you did
it better at some Australian event.

But, I'm looking for terminology that I can use with my mother-in-law.
(She's just signed up with a 802.11 based rural provider for her cottage for
the summer.  Made financially feasible only because they'll let her cancel
for 6 months when it's winter.  I'm providing a modem.  I suspect that the
bandwidth is not-constant, so I wonder what I'll tell sql scripts...)