[Bloat] Terminology for Laypeople

john email at matrix8.org
Sun May 16 14:48:57 EDT 2021

Hello,
I have been on this mailing list since March this year. I am one of the
laypeople who is very interested in bufferbloat and have been trying to
understand what the bufferbloat actually is by reading your email
exchanges.

I was very happy when the subject: [Bloat] Questions for Bufferbloat
Wikipedia article, came up. I thought someone could finally explain it
with very easy word which I could understand. But the more discussion
goes on the more I got confused and I thought this mailing list is for
aliens exchanging idea not for me human.
:-)

I also watched Dave's
Making Wifi Fast + Slides - BattleMeshV8 - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-UnHDw02o&t=1657s
But I still could not really understand exactly what Dave was trying to
explain in it.

Then, another subject: [Bloat] Terminology for Laypeople, came up. I
thought I could finally understand what the bufferbloat is. But so far I
am not even close to the understanding. Now it seems to me that this
mailing list is only for Albert Einstein class scientists to discuss
something super difficult to understand. This is because no one seems to
be able to explain in a manner laypeople can understand. Or probably my
effort to understand it is not really enough yet. But I think I have
been really doing my best trying to understand what all of you are
trying to explain about.

I thought I could not be qualified to even drop a line to this mailing
list because I can not write nor explain in the manner others on this
mailinglist do. I have been hesitating to ask a question. But please
allow me to share with you what image came up in my mind after reading
all the Emails exchanged here since March.

As of now, I am wondering if the bufferbloat could be explained with
something like a sushi belt-conveyor, the one you may find at the sushi
restaurant equipped with automated belt-conveyor to bring plates with
sushi to customer's seat.

In my mind, I am seeing the plate as a packet and the conveyor as
network. For Europeans and Americans, it may be easier to picture the
KrispyKreme's donuts belt conveyor in mind instead of sushi one.  Donuts
are the packets and they go around the network on conveyor in my mind.

After watching Dave's YouTube video, it seems to me, the congestion of
the packets which Dave was explaining is equivalent to sushi plats on
conveyor stuck on the route and colliding each other on the conveyor
since the conveyor keeps bringing more packets one after another to the
collision point, then plats overflow from the conveyor and dropped on
the floor.

So now, my question is the picture I described above is close to what
bufferbloat is? Or I am still very far from understanding? If I am still
far from understanding, will you be able to explain it to me, the
laypeople, using the sushi or donuts conveyor? Is the problem the speed
adjustment of the conveyor? Or too many plates or donuts are placed on
the conveyor? If so, why the rate or speed of each factors can not be
adjusted? I even wonder if you could explain it using the door to door
package delivery service since you are talking about delivering packets.

By the way, thank you very much for your effort to make the explanation
of bufferbloat to laypeople!

john