[Bloat] AQM & Net Neutrality

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri May 28 19:18:55 EDT 2021

Hi Aaron,

I understand your argument more as an argument for equitable sharing/FQ than for AQM, even though both complement each other quite well.
The biggest point for FQ in my opinion is, while this is certainly not the optimal capacity share regime for all traffic mixes, but without an oracle at the bottleneck (or robust un-gameable information about relative priority encoded in the packets themselves) it is the one sharing regime that will never be pessimal, and should always be good enough and also per definitionem compatible with net neutrality rules, since no flow gets an advantage over another one. That said FQ does not solve all pathologies and is for example gameable by splitting a transfer into many concurrent flows, but single queue AQMs and even a dumb FIFO behave similarly the same pathology already, so FQ does not make matters worse.

Regards
	Sebastian