[Bloat] ONTs and ITU - T G.988

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 10:33:53 EST 2022

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 7:28 AM Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/01/2022 00:42, Dave Taht wrote:
> > My 1st question is - are there any ONTs that actually do do pause
> > frames? Or providers that configure for them?
>
> In my (limited) experience most network operators want ONTs to be
> transparent to pause frames.

so the pause frames originate at the ISP not at the ONT?

> > My second is - what is a cheap way to setup a lab to emulate a good,
> > common, version of gpon e2e?
>
> I'm not aware of a cheap way. You need an OLT and a few ONTs.
>
> > Third - what OS do these things run? Who makes a "good" one?
>
> Linux. But forwarding is offloaded so not dealt with by the Linux
> networking stack.

I kind of moved this thread over to cerowrt-devel where I've found a
SFP and ONU running linux,
among other things.

I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC