[Bloat] the future of tcp - train wreck or evolution?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:39:29 EDT 2022

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 10:48 PM Michael Welzl <michawe at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> … but I’m excited about slide 15 !
>
> "Heat, CO2, and radioactive waste are becoming measurable by-products of TCP inefficiency
> Fix TCP => Save the World!”

QUIC contributes 3x(?) more to global warming than TCP in these cases.
Btw, there's an interesting company attempting to put DCs underwater,
perhaps attached to old oil rigs or under windfarms, looking for their
first investment round, here, if you know anyone?

https://www.subseacloud.com/

I was a big jock cousteau fan back in the day.

Me, I've been mostly moving back to local applications, libreoffice is
a real joy compared to google docs, and I figure local apps are far,
far more power efficient than DCs are.

> People don’t yet focus enough on this - and it’s not only relevant in a data center context. See also:
>
> Michael Welzl: "Not a Trade-Off: On the Wi-Fi Energy Efficiency of Effective Internet Congestion Control", IEEE/IFIP WONS 2022, virtual, 30 March - 1 April 2022.
> Preprint: https://folk.universitetetioslo.no/michawe/research/publications/wons2022_authors_version.pdf
>
> A couple of IETFs ago, I did sign up to present something along these lines at an ICCRG meeting, but I asked late and got squeezed into an “if time permits” slot; some day in the future I’ll ask for a “proper slot” to elaborate on this.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael
>

> On Jun 16, 2022, at 4:35 AM, Dave Taht via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> as seen in 2008.
>
> https://slideplayer.com/slide/5747321/
>
> Regrettably all the answers on slide 13 are elided.

It was how clearly pugs saw things back then that was remarkable. I've
been really enjoying his twitter and blog ( https://akapugs.blog/)
lately. Also on a recent thread he pointed out this really excellent
computer history book:
https://twitter.com/aka_pugs/status/1537229947042820096

History does not repeat itself, but it rhymes.