[Bloat] Fwd: [tsvwg] New Version Notification for draft-herbert-tcp-in-udp-00.txt

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 20:16:22 EDT 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael Welzl <michawe at ifi.uio.no>
Date: Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] New Version Notification for
draft-herbert-tcp-in-udp-00.txt
To: Tom Herbert <tom=40herbertland.com at dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: tsvwg <tsvwg at ietf.org>, <safiqul.islam at oslomet.no>

Dear Tom, dear everyone else @ TSVWG,

I’m (somewhat obviously, if you see what I write below) strongly in
favour of this draft - and also happy to help with it.  This idea (in
some form) has been proposed multiple times over the years, and never
took off; perhaps the time is now right?
Below is some material.

Earlier similar proposals:
====================

The first appearance I know of:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-denis-udp-transport-00
(likely it isn’t the first to exist!)
Much later:  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-cheshire-tcp-over-udp-00
and finally, our own effort:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-welzl-tcp-ccc
which I presented in ICCRG, at IETF-95:
https://folk.universitetetioslo.no/michawe/research/publications/ietf95-iccrg-tcp-in-udp.pdf

Work showing benefits:
===================

There may be several reasons to do this. Our own interest, back then,
was in implementing (single-path!) coupled congestion control in the
style of RFC 8699 for TCP.
Such coupling can only work when we know that the connections traverse
the same bottleneck - either via measurement (RFC 8382), or because,
as with this encapsulation, they carry the same outer 5-tuple.
Our coupling is lightweight, as it doesn’t require re-vamping the
entire congestion control code like the congestion manager. It still
yields all the benefits of a single congestion control instance, just
like a multi-streaming transport would have: lower latency and packet
loss from less competition, and the ability to execute precise
prioritization.

This was done in the context of Safiqul Islam’s Ph.D. thesis. These
publications describe the benefits:

Safiqul Islam, Michael Welzl, Kristian Hiorth, David Hayes, Grenville
Armitage, Stein Gjessing: "ctrlTCP: Reducing Latency through Coupled,
Heterogeneous Multi-Flow TCP Congestion Control", IEEE INFOCOM Global
Internet Symposium (GI) workshop (GI 2018), Honolulu, HI, April 2018.
DOI 10.1109/INFCOMW.2018.8406887
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8406887
Preprint: https://folk.universitetetioslo.no/michawe/research/publications/ctrltcp-infocom-gi-2018.pdf

and, focusing on the benefit of ramping up cwnd faster when joining
other connections:
Safiqul Islam, Michael Welzl: "Start Me Up: Determining and Sharing
TCP's Initial Congestion Window", ACM, IRTF, ISOC Applied Networking
Research Workshop 2016 (ANRW 2016), Berlin, Germany, 16 July 2016. DOI
https://doi.org/10.1145/2959424.2959440
https://dl.acm.org/authorize?N16076

Code:
======

We have ( ...somewhere. I’ll be happy to dig for it if someone wants
it! ) a FreeBSD implementation of both the congestion control coupling
and the encapsulation, and it’s described in more detail here:
https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/51926

Cheers,
Michael

On 12 Aug 2023, at 00:22, Tom Herbert