[Bloat] Fwd: [New post] How Good is FWA Wireless?

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Feb 8 19:53:19 EST 2023

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:43:59 -0800
Dave Taht via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 2:41 PM Luis A. Cornejo <luis.a.cornejo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > As a former T-mobile HSI customer, I can attest the horrible queue management. The deprioritization was so bad that it became basically unusable, even a ping or DNS lookup just lagged. I latched to a tower near the interstate about 2 miles away. I knew when there was an accident at the interstate, my online experience correlated very well.
>
> I ranted over here about how bad just the depriotization could become,
> and also pointed to a flaw, I believe, in how long devices hold onto
> packets in that case. I fear that when the network is getting toasty,
> and comes back online that there is a thundering herd of devices,
> enormous backlogs of stale syns, and so on that hit it, and what is in
> place is some sort of timed rate limiter to deal with it, not very
> well. It is the only explanation I have for seeing pings come back on
> 1s intervals...
>
> https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/flaws_in_flent/

I think this is leftover circuit switch telco mindset. Everyone needs/wants/will buy their own slice.
It looks like they keep trying and trying to see value added networking. But well-designed best effort
is always cheaper, more efficient and overall faster. We heard this story before with MPLS, ATM, etc.