[Bloat] [Cake] Two questions re high speed congestionmanagement anddatagram protocols

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Wed Jun 28 10:32:32 EDT 2023

How to find a kernel maintainer to care about DCCP, seems to be the question for Linux.
I am tempted... Not to get involved with IETF "barriers" (what a mess, given the folks in IETF who resisted in AQM, I wouldn't last a minute), but to keep DCCP support alive.
The barrier here is getting accepted as a Linux maintainer, which is a different issue entirely, looking at my last two experiences with submitting simple bug fixes to the kernel, which were nightmares. I don't have the commitment to become accepted as a maintainer.
But it seems good to maintain DCCP, despite its lack of popularity as an IETF standard. It does deal with CC in a way that simplifies use of UDP for serious work.

(One such nightmare can be seen in LKML... Search for dpreed at deepplum.com patch emails. I tried hard, was worn down, then gave up, since I found a way to avoid the bug, in virtualization code on x86, and gave up on getting it fixed after a year. Life is too short. The prior one was almost 20 years ago when Alan Cox showed his asshole side, insulting me and HP. Alan is, thank goodness, gone now from Linus's inside circle)