[Bloat] [Rpm] [Starlink] [LibreQoS] On FiWi

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 13:53:30 EDT 2023

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 10:49 AM rjmcmahon via Rpm
<rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> Agreed, AQM is like an emergency brake. Go ahead and keep it but hope to
> never need to use it.

Tee-hee, flow queuing is like having a 1024 lanes that can be used for
everything from pedestrians, to bicycles, to trucks and trains. I
would settle for FQ everywhere over AQM.

This has been a very fun conversation and I am struggling to keep up.

I have sometimes thought that LiFi (https://lifi.co/) would suddenly
come out of the woodwork,
and we would be networking over that through the household.

> Bob
> > Hi Bob,
> >
> > I like your design sketch and the ideas behind it.
> >

> >> On Mar 15, 2023, at 18:32, rjmcmahon via Bloat
> >> <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> The 6G is a contiguous 1200MhZ. It has low power indoor (LPI) and very
> >> low power (VLP) modes. The pluggable transceiver could be color coded
> >> to a chanspec, then the four color map problem can be used by
> >> installers per those chanspecs.
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem
> >
> >       Maybe design this to be dual band from the start to avoid the up/down
> > "tdm" approach we currently use? Better yet go full duplex, which
> > might be an option if we get enough radios that not much
> > beamforming/MIMO is necessary? I obviously lack deep enough
> > understanf=dingwhether this makes any sense or is just buzzword bingo
> > from my side :)
> >

> >> There is no CTS with microwave "interference" The high-speed PHY rates
> >> combined with low-density AP/STA ratios, ideally 1/1, decrease the
> >> probability of time signal superpositions. The goal with wireless
> >> isn't high densities but to unleash humans. A bunch of humans stuck in
> >> a dog park isn't really being unleashed. It's the ability to move from
> >> block to block so-to-speak. FiWi is cheaper than sidewalks, sanitation
> >> systems, etc.
> >>
> >> The goal now is very low latency. Higher phy rates can achieve that
> >> and leave the medium free the vast most of the time and shut down the
> >> RRH too. Engineering extra capacity by orders of magnitude is better
> >> than AQM. This has been the case in data centers for decades.
> >> Congestion? Add a zero (or multiple by 10)
> >
> >       I am weary of this kind of trust in continuous exponential growth...
> > at one point we reach a limit and will need to figure out how to deal
> > with congestion again, so why drop this capability on the way? The
> > nice thing about AQMs is if there is no queue build up these basically
> > do nothing... (might need some design changes to optimize an AQM to be
> > as cheap as possible for the uncontended case)...
> >
> >> Note: None of this is done. This is a 5-10 year project with zero
> >> engineering resources assigned.
> >>
> >> Bob

Come Heckle Mar 6-9 at: https://www.understandinglatency.com/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC