[Bloat] [LibreQoS] [Starlink] [Rpm] On FiWi

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Sat Mar 18 16:40:30 EDT 2023

  > All of the states use cases are already handled by inexpensive
lorawan
> sensors and are already covered by multiple lorawan networks in NYC
> and most urban centers in the US.  There is no need for a new
> infrastructure, it’s already there.  Not to mention NBIoT/catm
> radios.
>
> This is all just general cheapness and lack of liability keeping these
> out of widespread deployment. It’s not lack of tech on the market
> today.

What is the footprint of lorawan networks and what's the velocity of
growth? What's the cost per square foot both capex and operations,
maintaining & monitoring lorawan? What's that compared to the WiFi
install base, i.e. now we have train even installers and maintainers on
purpose built technology vs just use what most people know because it's
common? This all looks like ethernet, token ring, fddi, netbios, decnet,
etc. where the single approach of IP over WiFi/ethernet with fiber
fronthaul wave guides and backhauls' waveguides per the ISP seems the
effective way forward. I don't think it's in society's interest to have
so disparate networks technologies as we have learned from IP and the
internet. My guess is lorawan will never get built out across the planet
as has been done for IP. I can tell that every country is adopting IP
because they're using a free IP tool to measure their networks.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf2/files/stats/map?dates=2014-02-06%20to%202023-03-18&period=daily

Bob