[Bloat] [Starlink] [Rpm] [LibreQoS] On FiWi

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 20:10:21 EDT 2023

On Mon Mar 20, 2023 at 03:28:57PM -0600, dan via Starlink wrote:
> I more or less agree with you Frantisek.   There are throughput numbers
> that are need for current gen and next gen services, but those are often
> met with 50-100Mbps plans today that are enough to handle multiple 4K
> streams plus browsing and so forth

It is for now, question is how busy will it get and will that be before
the next upgrade round.

This is why there's a push to sell gigabit in the UK.

It gives newcomer altnets something the consumers can understand - big
number - to market against the incumbents sweatng old assets
with incremental upgrades that will become a problem. From my personal
point of view (doing active ethernet) it seems pointless making
equipment more expensive to enable lower speeds to be sold.

> yet no one talks about latency and packet loss and other useful metrics

Gamers get it and rate ISPs on it, nobody else cares. Part of the
reason for throwing bandwith at the home is to ensure the hard to
replace distribution and house drop is never the problem. Backhaul
becomes the limit and they can upgrade that more easily when market
pressure with speedtests show there is a problem.

> We need a marketing/lobby group.  Not wispa or other individual industry
> groups, but one specifically for *ISPs that will contribute as well as
> implement policies and put that out on social media etc etc.  i don't know
> how we get there without a big player (ie Netflix, hulu..) contributing.

Peak time congestion through average stream speed reduction is faily obvious
in playback stats. Any large platform has lots of data on which ISPs
are performing well.

We can share stats with the ISPs and tell A that they are performing
worse than B,C,D if there is a problem. I did want to publish it so
the public could choose the best but legal were not comfortable
with that.

brandon