[Bloat] [Starlink] On fiber as critical infrastructure w/Comcast chat

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 18:50:34 EDT 2023

I'm not quite following on this.  It's really not comcast's responsibility
to do maintenance on old cables etc.  Once installed, those are fixtures
and the responsibility of the building owner.    Comcast etc are only
pulling wire in to enable their primary business of selling voice, tv, and
data.  All of these other pieces are clearly the responsibility of the
property owner to install.  Trying to put this sort of thing on an ISP
would dramatically increase the cost of delivering services.

I read the chat log and I would have closed it too.  An HOA is a business
in legal terms. for profit or non-profit, but still a business.  The cost
to bring all products to every home and business would dramatically
increase the average cost of services.  The CSR offered a 2Gbit service and
you replied that you want the lower latencies of the 6Gbit service for your
fire alarm?  Firstly, why would the 2Gbit have lower latency than the
6Gbit, and secondly how much data do you think a fire alarm uses?  As the
CSR I would be telling jokes about you with my co-workers.  I'm not meaning
to be too antagonistic here, but this is a bit over the top don't you
think?  You're getting jostled around because you are demanding a service
they don't offer at the address.  You could have taken the 2Gbit plan offer
and been installed in a few days and still had a product that is literally
1000x more than your fire circuit needs.  The moment you started in on the
Boston fire I'd have been done.   Irrelevant and sensationalist.  Fire
alarms in all 50 states require either a hard wired telephone line or a
redundant data link (ISP+Cell for example) so the who 6Gbit to prevent
everyone from dying line is so over the top it made me switch teams
mid-read.

"I dont have what you are asking for" / "connect me to someone who does" is
the "Karen: I want to talk to your manager" equivalent for an ISP's CSR to
hear.

I could continue with how absurd a lot of what has been said is but I don't
want kicked out of the group for being unfriendly so I'll let it be.