[Bloat] [Starlink] [LibreQoS] [Rpm] net neutrality back in the news

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at comcast.com
Fri Sep 29 09:16:55 EDT 2023

On 9/29/23, 00:54, "Jonathan Morton" <chromatix99 at gmail.com <mailto:chromatix99 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Some ISPs began to actively degrade Netflix traffic, in particular by refusing to provision adequate peering capacity at the nodes through which Netflix traffic predominated

That is not true and really not worth re-litigating here.

NN regulations played no role whatsoever in the resolution of that conflict - a business arrangement was reached, just as it was in the SK Telecom example recently: https://about.netflix.com/en/news/sk-telecom-sk-broadband-and-netflix-establish-strategic-partnership-to

> ISPs behind L4S actively do not want a technology that works end-to-end over the general Internet.

That's simply not true. As someone running an L4S field trial right now - we want the technology to get the widest possible deployment and be fully end-to-end. Why else would there be so much effort to ensure that ECN and DSCP marks can traverse network domain boundaries for example? Why else would there be strong app developer interest? What evidence do you have to show that anyone working on L4S want to create a walled garden? If anything, it seems the opposite of 5G network slicing, which seems to me personally to be another 3GPP run at walled garden stuff (like IMS). Ultimately it is like a lot of other IETF work -- it is an interesting technology and we'll have to see whether it gets good adoption - the 'market' will decide.

> They want something that can provide a domination service within their own walled gardens.

Also not correct. And last time I checked the balance sheets of companies in these sectors - video streaming services were losing money while provision of internet services were financially healthy.

JL