[Bloat] [LibreQoS] [Starlink] [Rpm] net neutrality back in the news

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 11:53:26 EDT 2023

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 7:17 AM Livingood, Jason via LibreQoS <
libreqos at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> On 9/29/23, 00:54, "Jonathan Morton" <chromatix99 at gmail.com <mailto:
> chromatix99 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Some ISPs began to actively degrade Netflix traffic, in particular by
> refusing to provision adequate peering capacity at the nodes through which
> Netflix traffic predominated
>
> That is not true and really not worth re-litigating here.
>
> > NN regulations forced ISPs to carry Netflix traffic with reasonable
> levels of service, even though they didn't want to for purely selfish and
> greedy commercial reasons.
>
> NN regulations played no role whatsoever in the resolution of that
> conflict - a business arrangement was reached, just as it was in the SK
> Telecom example recently:
> https://about.netflix.com/en/news/sk-telecom-sk-broadband-and-netflix-establish-strategic-partnership-to
>
> > ISPs behind L4S actively do not want a technology that works end-to-end
> over the general Internet.
>
> That's simply not true. As someone running an L4S field trial right now -
> we want the technology to get the widest possible deployment and be fully
> end-to-end. Why else would there be so much effort to ensure that ECN and
> DSCP marks can traverse network domain boundaries for example? Why else
> would there be strong app developer interest? What evidence do you have to
> show that anyone working on L4S want to create a walled garden? If
> anything, it seems the opposite of 5G network slicing, which seems to me
> personally to be another 3GPP run at walled garden stuff (like IMS).
> Ultimately it is like a lot of other IETF work -- it is an interesting
> technology and we'll have to see whether it gets good adoption - the
> 'market' will decide.
>
> > They want something that can provide a domination service within their
> own walled gardens.
>
> Also not correct. And last time I checked the balance sheets of companies
> in these sectors - video streaming services were losing money while
> provision of internet services were financially healthy.
>
> JL

I think this stuff degrades into conspiracy theory often enough.  While I
don't discount the possibility of collusion, I don't give these
people/groups credit enough to pull of a mass scale conspiracy either....
If netflix is jammed down to small of a pipe at an ISP, that's more likely
(IMO...) disorganization or incompetence or disinterest over conspiracy.
 I feel the same about government in general...