[Bloat] mDNS

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Tue Feb 27 21:31:11 EST 2024

On 2/27/24 10:52, Rich Brown via Bloat wrote:

> Exactly! There are no rules about what subnet range an ISP's gear will
> assign to DHCP devices.
>
> So (I believe) it becomes incumbent on OpenWrt to be smarter than the
> ISP's router (shouldn't be hard) and pick a separate subnet for its LAN
> & wireless interface. (Clearly, OpenWrt could default to 192.168.1.0/24,
> but if that's that range the ISP is using, it could switch to
> 192.168.2.0/24. I think that's all the flexibility that's required...)

Independent of which orgs are and are not allowed to use rfc1918
addresses...

I sometimes find myself setting up openwrt routers behind other ISP
provided NAT'ing routers that use rfc1918 addresses. Example: take a
travel router on vacation and connect it to a network where I don't have
any control over the ISP router, but I still want to get the advantages of:
* my ESSID with my password, all my family's wifi devices "just work"
* SQM for all the wifi/wired things I connect to it. Still could
experience bufferbloat if there are things upstream of my router, but
often that is zero devices, or just a "smart" tv.
* firewalling all my devices together and away from other suspect stuff

BTW the openwrt bcp38 packages have some automatic rfc1918 detection in
order to make sure they don't setup a config that breaks in the case
where WAN is rfc1918.

Also... starting back in the old CeroWRT days I switched to using the
172.16 rfc1918 ranges when I realized that nobody else uses them, and
that has been a good way to avoid collisions (but wouldn't work as an
openwrt default).

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org