[Bloat] mDNS

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Wed Feb 28 15:35:03 EST 2024

>> I'm not sure how that could happen at boot time, it would need to
>> happen whenever a DHCPv4 lease changes.  This implies that the router
>> might need to renumber if the ISP changes its allocation, and there are
>> no renumbering procedures for IPv4 (I'm not sure if anyone implements
>> RFC 3203).

> it's unusual for the network block to change on a renewal,

At any rate, boot time is too early, since you don't know your
ISP-assigned address at that point.  You really need to delay until DHCPv4
gets a lease.

> and in that rare case you could reboot the router.

You don't need to reboot the router, it can renumber just fine.  You need
to reboot all the client devices (unless they implement DHCPv4 force renew
with nonce authentication, aka RFC 3203).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just pointing out some of the edge-cases
that you will need to consider in order to get a robust implementation.

-- Juliusz