[Bloat] mDNS

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 08:36:27 EST 2024

I'm not advocating that we change the default OpenWrt address from 192.168.1.1 That's welded too deeply into our synapses (and documentation). But this proposal will benefit newcomers for the reasons described below.

> On Feb 28, 2024, at 7:17 AM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>
> remember, you don't need to randomly pick something, you just need to have a couple networks, figure out if one is in use by the WAN and if so pick the other.

Remember, too, that this proposal is designed to solve problems for first-time users. This lets them avoid reading an entire page of documentation that explains how to find their ISP's assigned subnet, and then set their new OpenWrt device LAN to use a different subnet.

This won't affect experienced OpenWrt users. On an initial flash/configuration, they'll know they can use 192.168.1.0/24 because they know their upstream device configuration. Or they can log in using the mDNS name and configure it themselves.

> I will say that 192.168.0 and 192.168.1 are very commonly used, so anything other than those a better default
>
> personally, I like 192.168.255 as people tend to forget that's a valid network.

So... Is there any reason not to incorporate this into the OpenWrt default build? Thanks again.

-- Rich