[Bloat] [NNagain] cloud gaming on a comeback?

Dick Roy dickroy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 10 13:47:36 EST 2024

-----Original Message-----
From: Nnagain [mailto:nnagain-bounces at lists.bufferbloat.net] On Behalf Of
Dave Taht via Nnagain
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2024 8:34 AM
To: Network Neutrality is back! Let´s make the technical aspects heard this
time!; bloat
Cc: Dave Taht
Subject: [NNagain] cloud gaming on a comeback?

This does a pretty good job of summarizing the benefits, and issues,

behind making gaming a for-pay at the isp service, among other things.

[RR] As I recall, there has been some discussion, largely philosophical,
about gaming in this thread which is interesting to keep in mind.

https://www.lightreading.com/cloud/telcos-should-offer-dedicated-gaming-inte
rnet-packages-ericsson

In the case of LTE/5G if they could merely deliver a solid home gaming

experience, it would be a win... and they still can´t.

[RR] We can debate whether a “solid gaming experience” is a win (and for
whom:-)), however that’s for another day.  LTE/5G is nothing more than hype
as far as capacity claims are concerned.  That’s precisely why carriers
“give it away for free”!  When my connection on my phone slows to a crawl,
universally it’s because my phone has autonomously switched to one of the
“super fantastic 5G links”. Little children used to play a game called “BS”;
they still may. I think you know what’s coming next! :-):-):-)

RR

--

40 years of net history, a couple songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RGX6QFm5E

Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos

Nnagain at lists.bufferbloat.net