[Cake] second system syndrome

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Sun Dec 6 13:21:12 EST 2015

Comments:

My feeling is that we've been here (or close to here) before, and every
time there has been a 'just one more thing/feature' Columbo moment which
puts it all on hold again.  The last time was 'dual flow isolation'.
Without wishing to stir too much that pot again I do think the 'dual
flow isolation', if I understand the intention correctly*, is a feature
that 'consumers' would find desirable.

I'm wondering what the hold up is and whether I can help.   I personally
pledge £200 to the cake project.  I know it's not much in terms of
hours/rate etc but please take it as a sign of how much I personally
want cake to move forward and realise my own limitations in doing so.

One feature/benefit that hasn't been measured yet is 'simplicity'.  cake
offers a good shaper, fair qeueing, dscp washing, overhead/framing
calculation/compensation all in one pretty damn easy to configure package.

*trying to ensure fairness between hosts, not just between queues.  I
think the main aim/thought is having a 'bittorrent' host isolated and
low priority from everything else.