[Cake] second system syndrome

moeller0 moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Dec 20 08:51:38 EST 2015

> [...]
> After the GRO code is proven I'd rip out sebastian's treasured last
> packet size stat, too.

	Sad ;).  But didn’t your numbers comparing bcake versus cake show that all of the additional statistics cost nothing, at least on the arm platform? I know that my focus on per-paket overhead looks a bit peculiar, but since there was a niche at the time, I occupied it ;) and now I am going to defend my turf.
Could I argue here with an appeal to authority then, and make cake report the same stats as fq_codel does (I assume Eric had good reasons for each of the stats, it is purely accidental that fq_codel reports maxpackets ;) :

qdisc fq_codel 130: dev ifb4pppoe-ge00 parent 1:13 limit 1001p flows 1024 quantum 300 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms ecn
 Sent 1326934 bytes 974 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
  maxpacket 1538 drop_overlimit 0 new_flow_count 37 ecn_mark 0
  new_flows_len 1 old_flows_len 7

> I might rip out all the dscp models in favor of
> the 3 tier sqm one.

	Why 3? I actually want 4 in sqm (basically a thin network control layer (#1) on top of en elevated priority (#2) on top of best-effort(#3) and background (#4)), why? I need a place to stuff a few things like PPP control packets into with minimal delay.

> I'd go back to 32 bits for codel.

	Why? Due to the cost on 32 bit platforms or just on principle?

> My cup overfloweth. My job at the moment is to move the bloat related
> sites elsewhere before isc turns the power off next week.

	You rock; it is incredible that you basically carried most of the infrastructure and administration on top of pushing the de-bloat effort. All I can offer is simply to keep helping people startup with sqm-scripts and tinker a bit with the sqm-scripts machinery (basically “prototyping” stuff along until it catches Toke’s attention and he fixes things for good ;) ) My hope for cake always was, to make helping people get started easier, any additional better performance is sugar on top.