[Cake] openwrt build available with latest cake and fq_pie

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 12:09:28 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Alan Jenkins
<alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/06/2015, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hopefully, by creating a "tc-adv" package (now in ceropackages) we are
>> nearly at the last step for being able to do builds out of the main
>> openwrt tree. I am puzzled as to how to correctly override the default
>> "tc" package, but at least this built and worked for me the first
>> time.
>>
>> so you can kill any local mods to the iproute2 package in your own
>> openwrt builds, and merely add tc-adv to your own build instead, and
>> build kmod-sched-fq_pie and kmod-sched-cake, and walla!
>>
>> assuming this is now correct, the next step would be to push tc-adv
>> into some mainline openwrt repo (routing?) and get it and the kmod-*
>> stuff built regularly out of their build system. (and then! yea! try
>> some faster boxes like the linksys ac1900 and see what new breaks!)
>>
>> Anyway, my barely tested latest build (cake works, at least) is at here:
>>
>> http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~cero3/lupin/ar71xx/
>>
>> This also includes the latest cake, although I disagree with jonathon
>> about the count/2 mod, might as well test.

I do pretty strongly think count - 1 is the rightest thing still. I
did come up with two
other ideas for the resumption phase that might work.

1) schedule the next drop based on count, THEN do a count - 2 or
count/2 to be scheduled for the drop phase afterwards

2) measure the amount of time since the last entrance to the
resumption phase and resume with count at some level slightly above
that.

probably even more useful than just hacking around:

A) measure all the time spent in all the phases relative to the
induced workloads.

we had code like that in the original versions of codel.

> New build still works for my link :).  (15/1M dsl in the UK).
>
> If I want to test cake continuously, I'll need to fix sqm-scripts to
> pass the cake ATM options.  I switched back to fq_codel for now (that
> worked as well).

Patches gladly accepted (tc-adv now does parse the new keywords I
think), and we really, really, really do need to confirm that the atm
code works in every circumstance.

> Alan

What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast