[Cake] Stranger target behaviour

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Nov 1 12:48:29 EST 2015

Hi Kevin,

On Nov 1, 2015, at 18:18 , Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:

> On 01/11/15 16:05, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
>> Dear friends of cake,
>>
>>> [...]
>> 	I believe I just fixed this by initializing target in sch_cake to "interval >> 4”, I opted for the calculation instead of the simple number 6250 to sort of document the pattern and tried to put in a comment explaining why this is okay with codel's theory. Please note, I did not really test this, so for all I know it might break spectacularly...
> Looks ok to me, though the optimising compiler likely will turn that
> calculation into a constant 6250 anyway ;-)

	And that is fine it really is to document the fact for the source reader and to catch the hypothetical case that the default interval will be increased in the future...

> Only comment would be
> 'watch your line length' - no lines over 78 chars ideally in the
> kernel.

	Well, the powers that be need to decide, I believe the comment is helpful enough to having made it, but insignificant enough to not warrant its dedicated line or block of lines. First let’s see whether the comment survives in its verbosity and then care for style. That said, I am happy to keep monitoring this and potentially make the change.

>  On that note I've just committed some checkpatch
> style/formatting related changes.

	Oh, even better, I just see you fixed it for me; thanks a lot (sure beats having to clean up after myself ;) )

>> 	Slightly different question, I have a few cosmetic changes for tc, so which repository to commit this too, is tc-adv to be the gathering point for changes to be considered?
> I've no idea!  Recently I tried to merge Toke's repo version into my
> copy of Dave's tc-adv without success.  Well the merge works, but
> openwrt complains loudly at this recent version of iproute2 utilities
> and so far it's beyond my wit to tease out how to fix.  *if* it worked
> then we could be down to 1 repo, 1 version that worked for linux & openwrt.

	At least to me that sounds like a decent strategy, no?

> Speaking purely personally, committing to tc-adv would mean openwrt type
> people would test/play with it (me!)  Committing to kau.toke.de would
> mean non-openwrters would play....of course you could cherrypick/commit
> to both :-)

	Since I only have commit permissions at tc-adv (I am not asking for more) I will just play with the tc-adv repository and hope Jonathan will cherry pick (or even just implement the ideas in his own way) everything he considers worth it…