[Cake] Long-RTT broken again

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:17:21 EST 2015

Conceptually, I think limiting actual memory usage is the right thing to
do.  Ideally, the allocations would turn out closer to the actual packet
sizes, but by watching the allocated size, we will automagically take
advantage of improvements in this area - which must happen elsewhere in the
kernel.

Limiting total on-wire packet bytes is nice from a theoretical point of
view, but we don't live in a theoretical world.  The performance
discrepancy shouldn't be as big as it is.

Limiting packet count is wrong and awful and we shouldn't do that, even if
everyone else does.  The fact that counting allocated bytes behaves the
same way at the moment is unfortunate.