[Cake] basic cake

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Nov 25 11:37:25 EST 2015

Hi Dave,

On Nov 25, 2015, at 17:02 , Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Last night I went about removing nearly every unproven "feature" that
> has been added to cake since july, in part to establish a baseline for
> a performance comparison directly against sqm-scripts with
> htb+fq_codel, on low end hardware, and in part, to be able to test
> each newer feature
> more fully on the testbed.

	Oh, shiny, want have ;) So the plan is to assess the performance cost of each of the individual features to allow a better rationale to justify keeping or rejecting specific ones? Sounds like a excellent idea.

> The very long list of commits is here, complete with pithy comments,
> in the separate repo.
>
> https://github.com/dtaht/bcake/commits/master
>
> I would like it if someone using a low end home router could benchmark
> this version of cake
> against the mainline version.

	Hrmmm, for that I would need to build my own firmwares, let’s see whether I am up for that… oh, will newcake still accept all of tc-adv’s command line arguments (and simply ignore them?)

> My plan, such as it is, is to keep simplifying, and testing.  I still
> don't get the new hashing
> API....
>
> This reduction effort was fruitful in that I found yet another way to
> reuse "now"…

	As long as there are few enough cycles between the uses that sounds wonderful, otherwise now degrades to once ;)

> fixed one bug, maybe spotted another...
>
> Toke has been busy with flent, which has gained a really abusive 1000
> tcp flows test,

	bidirectional by any chance? Sort of the full internet simulator for home-routers?