[Cake] NET_XMIT_CN question

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 10:16:05 EST 2015

We decreased the size of the queue, regardless of what flow we dropped
from... so why do we not need to decrease the queue size when using
NET_XMIT_CN? Where is that done by the caller? I have grepped and
googled...

As best as I recall the semantics of NET_XMIT_CN changed over time, it used to
only work on enqueue on a tail drop queue, where it would push back on
the stack to not, actually, drop the packet, but to halve the window
and requeue.

Staring at the code now, I don't see how it could be right... here OR
in the existing fq_codel code in the mainline.

        /* Return Congestion Notification only if we dropped a packet
         * from this flow.
         */
        if (fq_codel_drop(sch) == idx)
                return NET_XMIT_CN;

        /* As we dropped a packet, better let upper stack know this */
        qdisc_tree_decrease_qlen(sch, 1);
        return NET_XMIT_SUCCESS;

(I am not sure NET_XMIT_CN works right when there is a hash collision,
for example, although the updated doc does seem to indicate that,

... still, then, where does (an equivalent for)
qdisc_tree_decrease_qlen kick in?)

So I ripped it out. Otherwise... the code does look correct, now that
I've reviewed it further.
But does putting it back in have any measurable effect?

Also I note there was a bunch of commits to sch_fq_codel mainline since july,
notably this one.

c0afd9ce4d6a646fb6433536f95a418bb348fab1

https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi