[Cake] linksys ac1200 network bug

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 09:41:17 EST 2015

I went for a test drive of openwrt DESIGNATED DRIVER (Bleeding Edge,
r47665) today.

A) I bricked the archer c7 v2. No idea why.

B) I got a sorta working linksys 1200ac build.

The bad news: Any attempt to run 2 or more copies of netperf's
netserver on the 1200ac router with the default qdiscs (mq +
fq_codel), at line (gbit) rate, result in it locking up *for any other
traffic, including ping* until the first netperf is more or less
complete. I fear the underlying driver is  frightfully overbuffered,
or has another problem.

http://snapon.cs.kau.se/~d/archer-c7/onenetperflockout.png

(needs BQL, too)

The still bad news: cake works in both directions for a while longer,
then goes boom similarly.

The somewhat good news:

cake "shaped" to 900mbit on inbound and outbound to the router - does
not lock up the router. It merely runs out of cpu, but still does
manage quite respectable throughput in both  directions while doing
so. Note, I did not say "latency".

http://snapon.cs.kau.se/~d/archer-c7/encouraged.png

As usual there is some flent data in that dir if you want to draw your
own plots.

I was not in a position to actually test traffic through the router
(because I had the archer setup to do that)

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this. Well, a safe conclusion,
is: don't install this build.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to do my first openwrt build in a while.
>
> make[5]: Leaving directory
> '/home/cero4/src/archer-c7/build_dir/target-mips_34kc_musl-1.1.11/dante-1.2.2'
> Makefile:349: recipe for target 'all' failed
>
> I checked: the package "dante" is not installed. Nor can I figure out
> what package is arbitrarily requiring it.
>
> I truly am in hell.

Simple patch for this, It involves invoking a deity.