[Cake] linksys 1200ac and peeling and gro

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 06:11:23 EST 2015

In testing *through* the linksys router later that day I was unable to
get it to lock up.

I did also test inbound cake shaping at 900mbit inbound + outbound vs
900mbit outbound shaped, and 1gbit down unshaped, 900mbit shaped, on
the flent tcp_upload_100 test (100 flows up, 1 down)

http://snapon.cs.kau.se/~d/linksys-test/downshapedvsnotshaped.png

as this build is running linux 3.18, it predates all the massive
improvements in routing cache lookups that landed in 4.0-4.2. I
strongly suspect that the heroic measures that the mvneta driver takes
to create gro superpackets, which then go through act_mirred, which
then cake heroically unpeels back into packets (mostly acks in the
above test), and then each tiny packet which goes through the routing
lookups before delivery to the next interface... are to blame for the
massive difference in performance in the above graph.

I'll retry the above with gro off on the inbound interface monday. In
the meantime,
perhaps (if there is a way to do it) merely peeling down to the cake
quantum would help.

And maybe there's a 4.x kernel or a backport of those wonderful
routing lookup fixes....

https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi