[Cake] ECN marking and latest cake

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Sun Oct 18 06:20:01 EDT 2015

On 18/10/15 08:32, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>> On 17 Oct, 2015, at 18:45, Antoine DeschĂȘnes <antdes45 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I built the latest cake yesterday night and noticed I don't see any changes between enabling and disabling ECN on Windows with this version anymore.
>>
>> (DSLreports speedtest Re-xmit avg becomes 5x lower with ECN working on the client)
> ECN marking still seems to work at this end.
>
> - Jonathan Morton

It works here too.  I see far more ECN marks & drops on my egress than
ingress; gigabit to 10mbit is quite a transition that needs to be
managed.  40mbit to gigabit ingress is less of a problem *and* my ISP
(and BT's infrastructure over which it runs) has a rate limiter to help
prevent overfilling the link.  As an experiment I artificially set the
ingress bandwidth to 1/4 actual and ran a few speed & other tests.  ECN
marks worked a treat.

Also, in terms of Openwrt/cerowrt, the versions of cake/tc-adv have been
behind those in the source repositories of sch_cake & tc-adv.  As of
approx 10:00 GMT Oct 18th 2015 (and compile/run test on Archer C7 v2) I
updated ceropackages-3.10 to point to the latest commits to those source
repositories.  Those commits are
0251bc5fa32a2caff32b108e55239bf667e851c2 &
256fbf86642f7e180d507be2c0824c03536ac140 in Dave's sch_cake & tc-adv
repos respectively.

I hope that explanation in some way helps :-)

Kevin