[Cake] testers wanted for low latency voip/video conferencing qdisc

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 07:24:18 EDT 2015

Dear Freeswitch folk:

It is generally my hope that many of you have been using things like
fq_codel (now the default in fedora, and many other linux derived
OSes) and qos systems like the "sqm"[1] system now in openwrt, and
streamboost, etc in order to improve voip and videoconferencing
behavior along the edge, and beat bufferbloat.

For the past 3 years we have been working on a successor to fq_codel,
called "cake" - which among many other improvements like 8way set
associative hashing, and less cpu use, also obeys what we know of the
defined diffserv markings for voip and video conferencing - not that
we think they are widely used as yet.

We are finally at the point where cake can be tested more widely with
an out of tree kernel module, and patches to tc. A complete technical
description of cake, links the github repos, and how to install are
at:

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/CakeTechnical

And we hope to submit to kernel mainline after more testing gets done.

We have many tests (see flent.org for the flent tool) for voip but we
have yet to develop good ones for videoconferencing, and in addition
to any testing of cake you can do, I would love to know how we too can
add tests for that to our test suites.

I had a chance last friday to come on the vuc show and talk about
fq_codel, cake, bloat, etc on the latter half, and the first half was
dominated by our controversial proposal to fix the edge of the
internet. - but my heart is in seeing the technical fixes for better
voip and videoconferencing get more widely used so we can finally
deploy them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGYZ83nq4Js
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151014005564/en (for the
letter we were talking about)

And my group of bufferbloat folk plan to be on the cluecon show nov 18th.

More freeswitch data to toss around - logs - packet captures -
empirical evidence - anything would be great to have before then. TIA.

[1] http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm

Do you want faster, better, wifi? https://www.patreon.com/dtaht