[Cake] Cake in userspace

Henning Rogge hrogge at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 07:02:44 EDT 2016

Hi,

I am working on an interface between an existing physical (wireless)
layer and the Linux IP stack.

The maximum speed of the PHY is quite slow (but has some long
timeslots for data) and we will do lots of experiments, so everything
is in Userspace and uses a TAP device to pretend to be a real device
driver.

Of course I am running into the same issues that the Mac80211 wifi
stack has... queuing and aggregation. To aggregate data I have to
remove IP packets from the the TUN interface, which removes them from
control of IP queuing... and only afterwards I can inspect them if
they CAN be aggregated.

How difficult would it be to implement Cake directly in Userspace
behind a TAP device (that you always drain of all incoming packets)?

This might be an interesting way to experiment with Cake AND might
solve my problem too.

Henning Rogge