[Cake] Cake in userspace

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 07:41:42 EDT 2016

> On 15 Apr, 2016, at 14:02, Henning Rogge <hrogge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How difficult would it be to implement Cake directly in Userspace
> behind a TAP device (that you always drain of all incoming packets)?

Cake relies on a number of kernel services, which would need to be replaced.  This would also be true for a port to a different kernel, such as BSD - a question which has already occurred.

The most troublesome of these services would probably be the packet dissector, which is used to identify the 5-tuple for flow isolation.  The rest is largely standard entry points, timer services, memory management, and configuration.

My advice is to rip out the kernel-specific headers, try to compile it, and see how loudly the compiler complains.  :-)