[Cake] fq_codel on 3g network in Mauritius

Mario Ferreira liouxbsd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 09:04:58 EDT 2016

You could also use a custom kernel that would allow you to add
fq_codel/cake then add custom rules to it.

I would advise a setup such as: AFWall to run scripts depending on whether
it's WiFi or Mobile (3G/4G). The script would be a simplified debloat.sh
just adding simple tc fq_codel/cake commands.

I tried this before on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus back on 2013 [1] [2] with
AK_Kernel. I had interesting results though mixed ones. It was mostly due
to mobile data quality being awfully varied. Therefore, I wasn't
knowledgeable to find a good script setup that catered for all the moving
parts. Nonetheless, it improved my situation. I recommend it.

I've been meaning to try this again using a modified Franco kernel [2] for
Huawei Nexus 6P. However, as with everyone else, Real Life(TM) has a
tendency to get in the way. :) I don't use custom ROMs. It would be a stock
Nexus ROM installation, SU root for scripts/tc and custom kernel for
fq_codel/cake kernels.

We could try if people are interested. However, I can only be of help after
November.

1.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/general/kernel-codel-kernel-modules-android-t2163790
2. https://github.com/lioux/ (Be kind, I know my github account looks like
a junior developer's sandbox :)

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 12:45 AM Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I went further, and rooted the android phone.
>
> Then I set the txqueulen to 0 on ccimni0 and wlan0.
>
> Here are the results:
> https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/4569339
> https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/4569379
>

> Despite disabling the txqueuelen, The inbuilt TX/RX buffers are still
> pretty high:
>

> https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/mediatek/+/android-6.0.1_r0.100/drivers/misc/mediatek/dual_ccci/ccmni_net.c
>

> #define CCMNI_TX_QUEUE 1000
> #define CCMNI_UART_OFFSET 2
>
> So my idea is to reduce the size of the queues so that it's just
> enough for 21Mbit/s (down) , and 4Mbit/s (up), in the absence of BQL
> support.

Mario S F Ferreira - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature