[Cake] fq_codel on 3g network in Mauritius

Loganaden Velvindron loganaden at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 09:48:46 EDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Mario Ferreira <liouxbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> You could also use a custom kernel that would allow you to add fq_codel/cake
> then add custom rules to it.

CeroAndroid :)

> I would advise a setup such as: AFWall to run scripts depending on whether
> it's WiFi or Mobile (3G/4G). The script would be a simplified debloat.sh
> just adding simple tc fq_codel/cake commands.

I was thinking along the same line. However, my end goal would be to
build a case for Android to consider shipping fq_codel instead of
fifo_fast for android one. Instead of keeping the patches out of
android one tree, at least we could try to make them accept it.

> I tried this before on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus back on 2013 [1] [2] with
> AK_Kernel. I had interesting results though mixed ones. It was mostly due to
> mobile data quality being awfully varied. Therefore, I wasn't knowledgeable
> to find a good script setup that catered for all the moving parts.
> Nonetheless, it improved my situation. I recommend it.
>
> I've been meaning to try this again using a modified Franco kernel [2] for
> Huawei Nexus 6P. However, as with everyone else, Real Life(TM) has a
> tendency to get in the way. :) I don't use custom ROMs. It would be a stock
> Nexus ROM installation, SU root for scripts/tc and custom kernel for
> fq_codel/cake kernels.
>
> We could try if people are interested. However, I can only be of help after
> November.

I think that if I could get some kind of BQL/DQL into the mediatek
driver, and convince the mediatek folks to take the patch by showing
them the benefits, we could get a long way towards seeing an upcoming
release of android with support for this.

The nice thing is that it appears that the mediatek driver on the
android repository is complete.

> 1.
> http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/general/kernel-codel-kernel-modules-android-t2163790
> 2. https://github.com/lioux/ (Be kind, I know my github account looks like a