[Cake] fq_codel on 3g network in Mauritius

Mario Ferreira liouxbsd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 10:07:30 EDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Mario Ferreira <liouxbsd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > You could also use a custom kernel that would allow you to add
> fq_codel/cake
> > then add custom rules to it.
> >
> CeroAndroid :)

  Nothing so grand. As in all things software, simpler/smaller/faster is
better (usually in that order). There are TOO many voices to interfere.

> > I would advise a setup such as: AFWall to run scripts depending on
> whether
> > it's WiFi or Mobile (3G/4G). The script would be a simplified debloat.sh
> > just adding simple tc fq_codel/cake commands.
>
> I was thinking along the same line. However, my end goal would be to
> build a case for Android to consider shipping fq_codel instead of
> fifo_fast for android one. Instead of keeping the patches out of
> android one tree, at least we could try to make them accept it.

  My experience has been that you FIRST make a proof of concept. Get it
working, write the instructions, make it baby proof to code merge, etc.
THEN, you try to convince them to accept it.

  Franco kernel or any other custom kernel follows the official Android
git. We need to get it out there so that it gets attention. David Taht et
al have been working for YEARS on getting people to notice something that
has PHYSICAL verifiable proof = facts. It's a
technical/political/financial/faith/crazy issue. No intention to offend
anyone.

> > I tried this before on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus back on 2013 [1] [2] with
> > AK_Kernel. I had interesting results though mixed ones. It was mostly
> due to
> > mobile data quality being awfully varied. Therefore, I wasn't
> knowledgeable
> > to find a good script setup that catered for all the moving parts.
> > Nonetheless, it improved my situation. I recommend it.
> >
> > I've been meaning to try this again using a modified Franco kernel [2]
> for
> > Huawei Nexus 6P. However, as with everyone else, Real Life(TM) has a
> > tendency to get in the way. :) I don't use custom ROMs. It would be a
> stock
> > Nexus ROM installation, SU root for scripts/tc and custom kernel for
> > fq_codel/cake kernels.
> >
> > We could try if people are interested. However, I can only be of help
> after
> > November.
> >

> I think that if I could get some kind of BQL/DQL into the mediatek
> driver, and convince the mediatek folks to take the patch by showing
> them the benefits, we could get a long way towards seeing an upcoming
> release of android with support for this.
>
> The nice thing is that it appears that the mediatek driver on the
> android repository is complete.

  I am all for it. Keep us posted. :) A lot of folks here have experience
on getting GOOD/NECESSARY/PROVED things going when everyone else disagrees.
Reach out. We can all benefit from it.
--

Mario S F Ferreira - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature