[Cake] Cake Diffserv8 Incorrect?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Nov 6 01:35:20 EST 2016

Hi Noah,

So far the only way to figure out what cake is supposed to do is looking at the source code, as there are no high-level design documents, nor even a proper man page. That said I believe that cake's diffuser modes correspond to Jonathan's interpretation of different related RFCs; not that these RFCs necessarily make much sense and it is not clear which RFC a specific mode was based on. Since DSCPs are only ever valid inside a DSCP-domain like a home net, I guess most of the schemes are workable as long as the mapping is well documented. Now it would be sweet if cake would grow a robust and comprehensive documentation, and while I believe this is going to happen, I would not hold my breath...