[Cake] Cake with Deep Packet Inspection

Noah Causin n0manletter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 20:55:27 EST 2016

I finally got my project working.

I integrated the NDPI Deep Packet Inspection engine into my LEDE build,
so I could prioritize applications using Cake.

http://www.ntop.org/products/deep-packet-inspection/ndpi/

NDPI integrates into IPTables, which allows me to DSCP mark packets.
Cake reads the DiffServ markings and puts the traffic into appropriate
classes.

I found a Makefile which successfully compiles:
https://github.com/981213/lede_src/blob/0d344bc2958838dcbc547a8f0a3d8842e6f6d2f8/package/my_package/ndpi-netfilter/Makefile

The system works very well.  Steam traffic is deprioritized to allow
applications like YouTube, Netflix, and Skype to receive higher amounts
of the available bandwidth.

What I do for ingress is bridge two ports on an extra router, enable
bridge firewalling, and create IPTables rules to mark downstream
packets.  The router I use is a D-Link DGL-5500, which is comparable to
an Archer C7.

IPv6 support is not available in this netfilter module, but the IPv4
support is great.

Noah Causin