[Cake] Cake with Deep Packet Inspection

Noah Causin n0manletter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 21:42:43 EST 2016

I took an extra router I had and bridged two ports on the router's
switch, so they just pass traffic. (eth0.2 and eth0.3)

Clients >-[Main Router] --[Extra Router]--[Cable-Modem]

The extra router is passive.  It acts like it's part of the Ethernet
cable between the main router and cable modem.  It does not interfere.

The extra router needs these packages:

kmod-ebtables, kmod-ebtables-ipv4, kmod-crypto-pcompress and the two
packages compiled from the Makefile I showed below (iptables-mod-ndpi
and iptables-mod-ndpi)

I edited /etc/sysctl.conf and change the last two lines to this:

net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables=1
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables=1

This enables bridge firewalling, so the traffic between the two ports
can be marked.

I then added firewall rules to LuCIs custom firewall rules tab.

Example Rules, modify classes as desired:

iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -m ndpi --steam -m mac ! --mac-source
*Your Main Router's Mac Address* -j DSCP --set-dscp-class cs0
iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -m ndpi --youtube -m mac ! --mac-source
*Your Main Router's Mac Address* -j DSCP --set-dscp-class cs2

iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -m ndpi --netflix -m mac ! --mac-source
*Your Main Router's Mac Address* -j DSCP --set-dscp-class cs3
iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -m ndpi --skype -m mac ! --mac-source
*Your Main Router's Mac Address* -j DSCP --set-dscp-class cs4

Have your main router use some form of DiffServ for both upload and
download on its WAN interface.  For upload traffic, you just need the
two packages from the makefile to be installed on the main router and
create firewall rules like this:

iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -o eth2 -m ndpi --netflix -j DSCP
--set-dscp-class cs3
iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -o eth2 -m ndpi --skype -j DSCP
--set-dscp-class cs4

If you need help building a custom firmware image, just let me know.