[Cake] diffserv based on firewall mark

moeller0 moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Oct 12 08:07:09 EDT 2016

> On Oct 12, 2016, at 12:21 , Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I still defend the idea of the diffserv "squash" option cake once had.
> It was essentially RFC compliant, simple to use, and because iptables
> was too late on inbound, needed, no matter the layer violation.

As stated I am not sure whether that is a relevant layering violation to begin with… I believe that Jonathan found a way to have a dscp qdisc stacked on top of cake that does the squashing afterwards. I am uncertain whether that only worked in theory (so whether research stopped after finding the dscp qdisc) or whether that was actually tested to DTRT in allowing cake to use the internally set DSC values but re-map them to 0 before putting them on the wire?