[Cake] Getting Cake to work better with Steam and similar applications

Neil Shepperd nshepperd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 17:16:41 EDT 2017

Um, I wasn't sure if I should mention it, because it doesn't seem like it
should be able to cause these kinds of issues. But, if you're using steam *on
linux*, there's a known bug where it makes hundreds (thousands?) of DNS
queries per second, during downloads, which can cause issues if the DNS
server on your router starts throttling. I don't know how or if that should
affect the apparent performance of cake in different tests. But the
workaround is to have a local DNS cache like dnsmasq on your host (and of
course it's not an issue on Windows machines).