[Cake] Getting Cake to work better with Steam and similar applications

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 17:37:43 EDT 2017

Neil Shepperd wrote:
> Um, I wasn't sure if I should mention it, because it doesn't seem
> like it should be able to cause these kinds of issues. But, if you're
> using steam *on linux*, there's a known bug where it makes hundreds
> (thousands?) of DNS queries per second, during downloads, which can
> cause issues if the DNS server on your router starts throttling. I
> don't know how or if that should affect the apparent performance of
> cake in different tests. But the workaround is to have a local DNS
> cache like dnsmasq on your host (and of course it's not an issue on
> Windows machines).

Interesting, I didn't know that, I did the pcap from my Linux router
box, steam it's self was running on Windows. Judging by the use of
hrping earlier I assume Dendari is also running windows.

I am 99.9% booted into Linux on my desktop - but it's pure 64bit LFS and
I am far too lazy to build a multilib LFS just for steam :-)