Recomended HW to run cake and fq_codel?

erik.taraldsen at telenor.com erik.taraldsen at telenor.com
Fri Apr 28 09:33:12 EDT 2017

Hi!

I'm trying to set up a lab for testing schedulers for xDSL, fiber and coax (and possibly LTE) CPE devices.  We have several Braodcom and Intel based CPE's with the typical hw accelerated schedulers which I would like to benchmark agains cake and fq_codel.  If there is a complete'ish system I could buy, that would be nice.  I am aware that I can run into driver issues, large buffers etc on a converted linux PC.  So something like Ubiquti EdgeRouter, is that a reccomended platform?

My end goal (if the tests show cake/fq_codel will have significant gains over traditional schedulers) is to have our CPE vendors include cake/fq_codel running in slow path.  So at least we can use it for low speed accesse.  And possibly even influence the chipset vendors to start paying attention to bufferbloat.

Regards Erik Taraldsen