[Cake] Fast snack, QUIC CAKE?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 02:17:58 EDT 2017

QUIC should interact with cake in the same way as with fq_codel. Since QUIC
aims to minimise the standing queue by itself, it should usually be seen as
a "sparse" flow which cake will automatically prioritise and avoid dropping
packets from. That, of course, is what you want in a streaming protocol.

If QUIC does persistently exceed the fair share bandwidth, it'll get
signalled using ECN (if marked capable) or packet drops at a linearly
increasing frequency, just like any other protocol. I haven't studied QUIC
enough to be sure about how it reacts to that, but cake is not really
different to any other AQM in that respect. I do know that QUIC can cover a
small amount of packet loss at the receiver.