[Cake] cake flenter results round 3

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:45:45 EST 2017

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Georgios Amanakis <gamanakis at gmail.com> wrote:
> cake vs sfq and fq_codel looks great! You already have fq_codel in the
> graphs, do you mean codel?
>
> In terms of simulating CMTS I am trying to simulate a cable connection.
> Is the following reasonable?
> ===========8<===========
> servers --- delay --- isp --- mbox --- clients
>
> delay:
> tc qdisc replace dev delay.r root netem delay ZZms rate XXXmbit limit 100000
> tc qdisc replace dev delay.l root netem delay ZZms rate XXXmbit limit 100000

There is not much need to specify the rate here, just the delay. You
could like say 10Gbit, if you wanted.

> isp:
> tc qdisc replace dev isp.l root bfifo limit 1024k
> tc qdisc replace dev isp.r root bfifo limit 1024k

No, because this is not the bottleneck queue. isp.r

    tc qdisc del dev isp.r root # a little uncertain of what happens with handle
    tc qdisc replace dev isp.r root handle 1: netem rate YYYmbit \
             limit 100000
    tc qdisc add dev isp.r parent 1:1 handle 10:1 bfifo limit 1024k

I think.

> mbox:
> tc qdisc replace dev mbox.l root cake bandwidth YYYmbit
> tc qdisc replace dev mbox.r root cake bandwidth YYYmbit

    tc qdisc del dev mbox.r root # to leave it unshaped
    # or put cake back in to shape it after the isp shaper above.

> ===========8<===========
>
> George
>
> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's really hard to argue with. An fq_codel same conditions (and
>> pfifo and pie) might be interesting here.
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Georgios Amanakis <gamanakis at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I gave high RTT with high bandwidth a try:
>> > server   --   delay  --  mbox  --  client
>> > netserver   300/300ms  45/900mbit  flent
>> >
>> > I had to run flent with "-s 0.61" in order to avoid errors with fping
>> > dying
>> > prematurely.
>> > Comparing noack, ack, and ack-aggressive, ack seems to give the highest
>> > download rates.
>> > Cake was setup with "rtt 600ms".
>> >
>> > George

>> --